Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Balance Between Home and School

I go to school about 2 and a half hours away from home, it isn't an obscenely long distance, but it does make for having pretty much two lives.  I only have one person that I know from home that goes to my school, and he is two years younger than I am so we never see each other often but make small talk when we do meet, its cool.  Since that connection is negligible there is nearly no common ground between each life, lets look into it. 
I needed to post this sometime.
At home I have a lot less people that I see on a regular basis, mostly my family.  When it comes to friends I only have a small tight-knit group of people that I tend to hang out with a lot.  Since this group is so small, I know them all extremely well, and they know me extremely well.  We have all been friends since at least the end of high school, so we have years and years of inside jokes between us, which always makes for great times.  We live in a suburb, so naturally that means we have absolutely nothing to do when we want to hang out, our typical hangouts tend to be just going over to someone's house and playing video games (which I figure is what people always do) but that isn't just our typical option, it is our only option.  Sometimes we go out to eat, which typically means going to Chili's or a similar "American" style chain restaurant, an activity that became a lot more interesting after we all became 21 and were finally able to get a few "adult beverages" at these restaurants.  We also have a few activities that are seasonal, occasional sledding in the winters, we used to play frisbee in the springs and summers, but that has given way to golfing for myself, and fall has nothing interesting to do at all, but I'm never around in the fall anyways.  There are two other things that I would do when I was home, the first was hanging out with my family, which is a typical activity in general, and I used to work at the local grocery store in my younger days, if you want to hear more on those activities I wrote about them in a previous article.  That basically sums up my life when I am still living at home.
Not my crew, but that kid does look like a THUMB!
At school things are a little different.  I have a lot more friends, who are a lot more diverse than my friends back home.  I have about three different groups that I hang out with at school, these groups still have overlapping members, but it is rare that we have everybody together at once so things kind of branch off into different groups.  We also have a lot of time that we spend hanging around and playing video games and stuff, but we don't usually go out to eat often as none of us have money because we are in college, we also don't golf or play frisbee at all, but we do on occasion play softball together, and we have an intramural soccer team which I play goalkeeper.  On weekends we tend to go out to parties a lot more often, as there are naturally more parties happening on a college campus than within a small group of friends in the suburbs.  As students, we have homework to do all the time and commonly can just be sitting in a general area all doing our own things, so my college life seems to be typical, but I have a lot of fun with it.
They sure are!
I realize that this post doesn't tread any new ground, and just states the typical things that people do at college, and in suburbs.  But you know what, it is my life and that is the way I live it and really enjoy it.  I hope you at least enjoyed all of the pictures I put out because they are pictures that I have enjoyed for a long time and needed to post at some point.  See y'all next time.
I can't believe it isn't magic!!!!!!!!

1 comment: